Eleanor Smith earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Interior Design at Iowa State University while undertaking a full-track scholarship in 400 meter, 4 x 400 meter relay and 400 meter hurdles. Upon graduation, she worked with a Chicago-based interior design firm, and then continued on to several Toronto-based interior design and architecture firms where she completed design projects in Canada, the United States and England. She was appointed the head interior designer at a leading Toronto architectural firm. In 1992, she joined Royal LePage Bloor/West Village office, which operated as the second highest producing office in Canada. Looking to shift to the outdoors-oriented West Coast lifestyle, Eleanor and her husband, Malcolm, moved their family to Victoria in 1994.
Over the past twenty-five years, Eleanor has earned a reputation as a principal designer who creates balanced, green and sustainable spaces in diverse residential and commercial environments. Her company, Harmony Creative Interiors Ltd., has completed a wide variety of creative and budget-conscious interior projects to provide Victoria-based clients with high-quality, eco-friendly and lasting designs since 1995. In her spare time, Eleanor develops her leadership skills as a coach with the Victoria Track and Field Club where she has shared her track and field expertise with athletes ages 9-16 in hurdles and sprinting.
Drawing on her extensive interior design background, Eleanor now brings her eye for interior space, her attention to detail, and her local knowledge of Victoria to her clients at Macdonald Realty Ltd. Her passion for the Victoria area – fuelled in part by time spent sailing the waters of the Pacific Northwest with her family – motivates her to help clients find their perfect home in the Victoria area. Her dedication and attention to detail have allowed Eleanor and her clients to navigate real estate solutions with integrity and excellence.
Real Estate Achievements
2015 Macdonald Realty Ltd. Sales Achievement Award
2014 Macdonald Realty Ltd. Sales Achievement Award
Receiving the Sales Achievement Award is yet another accolade that reflects Eleanor’s service, dedication, and results for her clients.
2014 Victoria MLS® Silver Award
The MLS® Awards recognize the best of the best in Real Estate. The Silver Award is based on sales volume and distinguishes Eleanor as one of the top 20% selling REALTORS® in Victoria.
2012 Macdonald Realty Ltd. Rookie of the Year Award for Unit Sales and Commission Volume
This award reflects Eleanor’s commitment to achieving her clients’ real estate goals in her first year with Macdonald Realty Ltd.
Certified Negotiation Expert
Interior Design Achievements
Over her 25-year career, Eleanor’s designs have been recognized for their technical mastery, attention to detail and refined taste. A sample of her projects is available in her design portfolio.
- Gold; Best Kitchen (New or Renovated) over 250 sq. ft.; BC Cancer Foundation Lotto House at Bear Mountain; 2005 CARE Awards (Vancouver Island)
- Silver; Best Interior (Residential); BC Cancer Foundation Lotto House at Bear Mountain; 2005 CARE Awards (Vancouver Island)
- Silver; Best Interior (Residential); Carpenter Residence; 2003 CARE Awards (Vancouver Island)
- Silver; Best Kitchen (New or Renovated) under 150 sq. ft.; Carpenter Residence; 2003 CARE Awards (Vancouver Island)
Track and Field Achievements
Eleanor received a full-ride scholarship to Iowa State University in recognition of her track and field achievements in the 400 m, 400 m hurdles and 4×400 m events. During her track and field career, Eleanor set a number of national & international records in her main event of 400 m hurdles.
- Silver medal; 400 m hurdles; 1975 Canadian Championships (Athletics Canada)
- Bronze medal; 400 m hurdles; 1977, 1979 and 1980 Canadian Championships (Athletics Canada)
- Bronze medal; 400 m; 1976 Canadian Championships (Athletics Canada)
- 5th place finish; 400 m hurdles; 1978 NCAA Women’s Championships
- Finalist; 4×400 m relay; 1978 NCAA Women’s Championships
- 2nd place finish; 400 m hurdles; 1978 American Track and Field Championships (UCLA)
- Outdoor Record, 4×100 m relay (Senior / under 24), University of Toronto Club team with Susan Bradley, Jill Ross and Ann Bryan (Athletics Ontario)
- Various junior records in her sprinting events
- Canadian National Team member representative in Europe, Montreal & Toronto
- Ranked 1st in Canada & 10th in the world – 1978
Eleanor was a member of the Canadian national team travelling Europe in 1974 and she participated in the Canadian Olympic training camps in 1976 for the 4×400 m relay team.
During a career that spanned twenty-five years and cities as diverse as Chicago, Toronto, London (UK) and Victoria, Eleanor designed numerous interior spaces ranging from budget-conscious home renovations to custom-built luxury homes. Her design influences include eco-conscious products, West Coast architectural style, Hollywood glamour, and tailored woodwork to suit the demands of the space.